Granite State College: University System of New Hampshire

Federal & State Grants


Federal Grant Programs

Federal Grants are provided to students by the Federal Government and DO NOT need to be paid back. Students apply for these grants by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Pell Grant
Federal Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid. A Federal Pell Grant is awarded based on each student’s financial need. Pell grants are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned their first bachelor’s degree. The maximum Pell Grant award is annually established by the Federal Government.

Advanced Funds for Books and Supplies
Pell recipients may receive funds to obtain books and supplies by the seventh day of the term if s/he could have aid disbursed ten days before the start of the term and has a credit on their account after direct charges (tuition and fees) are paid. Checks, in the amount of the average cost of books and supplies ($150 per 4 credit course) will be issued and mailed on the Tuesday prior to the term start. Eligible students will only be identified once per payment period on the tenth day before the start of the term. If all coursework is dropped for the term after the release of funds, then the student is responsible for repayment to GSC within ten business days. Students do have the right to opt-out of this program by completing the annual Opt-Out of Advanced Funds for Books and Supplies Form.

Lifetime Limit of Eligibility
A student may receive a Pell grant for no more than six scheduled awards.

Survivors of Service Members

  • Students who have a Pell Grant eligible EFC will be treated as a student who has a zero EFC and will be awarded the maximum Federal Pell Grant Scheduled award based on the following criteria: Parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 and;
  • Student was less than 24 years or age or enrolled in a postsecondary program at the time of the parent or guardian’s death.

These students are identified through the Department of Defense match conducted through the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
FSEOG is awarded to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need, with priority given to Federal Pell grant recipients with the lowest expected family contribution (EFC). The annual award is $100 per term; not to exceed $400 total. Awards are based on availability from an annual allocation and Granite State College cannot guarantee every eligible student will receive an FSEOG award.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
A student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Additional Student Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be under 24 years old or
  • Enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.

The Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) and National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent (SMART) Grant are no longer available as of July 1, 2011.

State Grant Programs

No New Hampshire State Grants are available at this time.

Other State Grants

State Grants are provided to resident students based on merit, need and even areas of study. Granite State College students have received state grants from these other state organizations:

For more information regarding specific state grants not listed above, students should contact their state’s postsecondary or higher education commissions directly.