Granite State College: University System of New Hampshire

Frequently Asked Questions

Leadership (M.S.) Management (M.S.) Project Management (M.S.)

Academic & Program FAQs

Q: How much is graduate tuition?

A:  We are proud to have some of the most affordable graduate programs in the region. You can view our tuition by clicking here.

Q:  Can I "test the waters" and take a few courses before applying to a graduate program?

A: Yes, you can. Students can take up to four courses before applying to a graduate program. In order to register as a non-matriculated student for a course, prior approval from the Office of Graduate Studies is required. To register for a course, either register in person by going to one of the GSC Campus Centers or call the Office of Graduate Studies at 1.888.472.2442 or to 1.603.513.1334.

Q: What are the admission requirements?

A: Granite State College seeks candidates with strong academic preparation, leadership potential, and a demonstrated commitment to their field of study.

Applications from prospective degree students will be reviewed by the Graduate Program Director and will normally require the following:

Q: What undergraduate degree do I need in order to apply?

A: No specific bachelor’s degree required to apply to our graduate programs. Graduate degrees at GSC are designed for individuals who want to make a career change, current professionals who want to further develop in their profession by earning a Master’s degree and gaining graduate qualifications for job security and flexibility, and individuals from a variety of disciplines who want to expand their job opportunities by adding professional expertise to their portfolio.

Q: Are the GMAT or GRE required?

A: No, neither the GMAT or GRE are required to apply for a graduate course or a graduate program.

Q: Can I transfer credits?

A: The Office of Graduate Studies does not accept transfer credits. A student may petition the Graduate Program Director or the Dean of Graduate Studies for an exception.

Q: I earned a bachelor's degree from GSC, do I need to provide an official transcript?

A: GSC graduates do not need to provide an official transcript. Their academic record will be obtained by the program staff.

Q: Do I need to take the courses in the prescribed sequence on the website?

A: The prescribed sequence is the suggested course sequence for the student to finish the program in 5 terms. Students can take varying credit load term to term based upon course availability. Some of the course sequencing is defined by course prerequisites. The program director will work with you to optimize your curriculum map based upon your own timeframe for completion.

Q: Is there a thesis requirement for the graduate program?

A: There is no thesis requirement for any graduate program. Instead, our unique programs require you to demonstrate your comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter through the development and execution of a project in your integrative capstone course.

Q: What are the requirements for the degree?

A: To earn a graduate degree at Granite State College, students must complete all courses as prescribed in the curriculum, complete a minimum of 30 credit hours and must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.

Q: Who will be my advisor?

A: At Granite State College, your advisor will be the Program Director.

Q: When/where is student orientation?

A: Student orientations are typically held the week before classes at our Regional Campuses. Online orientations are also available.

Q: Where can I obtain more information on your academic policies?

A: Academic policies are found in Granite State College's course catalog which can be obtained online.

Q: Am I issued a student picture ID?

A: Granite State College picture IDs are available for all new students at the New Student Orientation at the beginning of every term. They are also available to all students the first Thursday of every month from 10-2 and 4-6 at the Claremont, Concord, Conway and Rochester campuses.

Q:  What is the difference between online, hybrid and face to face courses?

A: Online, hybrid and face to face courses cover the same material.  The difference is in the method of delivery.  With the face to face, you will experience a traditional on campus course.  Online courses are conducted over the internet and are accessed through the MyGranite portal.   A hybrid is a blending of the two.

Q: What is considered a full load term?

A: A full load for graduate students is at least 6 semester hours taken concurrently. Students may request for an overload (greater than six semester hours simultaneously) by submitting a Course Overload form. To be eligible for the overload schedule, students must have a record of successful study at Granite State College and must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Q: I have earned a Master's Degree from Granite State College, and I'd like to enroll in another graduate program to earn a second Master's Degree. Is this possible?

A: Yes! It is possible to earn more than one Master's Degree from Granite State College. You can apply up to 9 credits from your previous graduate coursework completed with a grade of B or higher to your second degree. Your second program must approve the coursework, and you still must complete all other specific degree requirements and capstone courses for both programs. Contact the Office of Graduate Studies for more information.


Technology & Facility FAQs  

Q: What technology do I need to be successful?

A: Granite State College recommends at least a Pentium-class computer which runs Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Windows 7 operating system or Mac OS 10.5 or higher with a CD ROM drive, the most recent version of Microsoft Office for your operating system, anti-virus software, 56kbps or faster access to the internet (broadband connections are preferred), the latest version of a web browser such as Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, Netscape, or Internet Explorer, a functioning personal e-mail address (such as Gmail or Hotmail), and access to a printer and fax machine.

Q: What is WebROCK?

A: WebROCK is Granite State College's online student information system which allows students to view grades, financial aid information, make e-payments, register online and request transcripts. It can be accessed through Granite State College MyGranite portal.

Q: What is MyGranite?

A: MyGranite is your pathway to online resources at Granite State College. Here you will find WebROCK, Moodle and eLearning+, library resources, your Granite State College email account, and other academic resources and tools.

Q: What is Moodle?

A: The graduate courses at Granite State College use Moodle as their online course management system. Each term orientations to Moodle are offered at no cost at various centers and online.

Q: Does Granite State College have a library?

A: The Granite State College community has an online library that provides 24/7 access to the full-text of scholarly journals and thousands of other periodicals that support all programs of study. In addition, Granite State College is a member of the New Hampshire College and University Council which allows our students and faculty to borrow books and materials from member institutions.

Q: Does Granite State College have ADA accommodations?

A: Granite State College will provide qualified individuals with disabilities the same educational opportunities available to persons without disabilities. When an individual's documented disability creates a barrier to educational opportunities, the College will attempt reasonable accommodation to remove the barrier. Conditions such as physical limitation, illness, or learning disability do not prevent an individual from being a productive learner. The College, however, does not have supplementary services or programs for special audiences.